See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2018 Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
- Size: 24" x 36"
- Techniques: Digitally painted, machine thread-painted/quilted
- Fabric: 100% cotton / Batting: 100% wool
- Price: $5400.00
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
From the first time I saw a picture of Antelope Canyon, I have wanted to go there and in September of 2018 we finally went. This was a narrow slot canyon with walls sculpted into sinuous curves, over millions of years, by water, wind, and sand. At noon each day the sun passes over the top of the canyon, casting shadows and highlights over the surface of the rocks. We took hundreds of photos, and this quilt is based on one taken by my husband, Ron Gentry.
I started by doing a digital painting based on the photograph, exaggerating the colors, and deepening the shadows. The digital painting was done on my Microsoft Surface Design Studio computer, which allows me to draw and paint directly on the computer screen. My painting was printed on cotton fabric. I quilted very heavily, to the level of thread painting, with many different colors of thread including many fluorescents. Since I planned to quilt very heavily, I used a dense wool army blanket as batting to prevent the surface from becoming distorted as the stitching was added. Rather than trying to exactly reproduce my photograph, I just tried to capture, in fabric and thread, the drama that one feels upon see this amazing example of nature's art.
- Fissures, Emerald Art Center, Springfield, Oregon, March 5-30, 2019 (Bronze Medal)
- Let’s Play, Northwind Arts Center, Port Townsend, WA, January 30 – March 1, 2020 (Jurors Choice)
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition) Lattimer Center for Quilts and Textiles, Tillamook, OR, May 3-June 27, 2021
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition), McLean Textile Gallery, McLean, VA, April 1-May 2, 2022
- Reflections of Light: Recent Works by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA, July 13 to October 20, 2022
- Fissures Exhibition Catalog, Emerald Art Center, 2019, Cover, pp. 6 & 47
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2022
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org