||Checking Over the Rainbow #8
See details & more information below
- Copyright © 1990 Caryl Bryer Fallert
- Size: 41" x 42"
- Techniques: Hand dyed, pleated, machine pieced, and
- Materials: fabric-100% cotton /
- Private collection: Iowa City, Iowa
This is part of a series in which 1/2", constructed tucks are incorporated into a pieced background. This is also the eighth in a sub-series exploring various relationships between checks and gradations of rainbow colors. The background strips alternate between black and white 1" checks, and black 1" checks arranged against a gradation of rainbow colors.
Each tuck is constructed from two different fabrics. The left sides of the tucks are a gradation of pure rainbow colors. The right sides of the tucks graduate from black to white to black and white checks to white to black. The use of color and value gradations, and the twisting of the tucks from side to side, create the illusion of movement and light across the surface of the quilt.
The center of the quilt is framed by a narrow border of black and white checks, followed by a wider string pieced border, and a binding of black and white checks. The strips of the radiating, string pieced border alternate between checks, against rainbow colors, and shades of solid black, gray, and white.
On the back of this quilt is a variation on the traditional quilt block, "LOG CABIN" (courthouse steps variation). My use of a traditional block on the back of this contemporary art quilt is my tribute to the creativity of the many anonymous quilt artists of the past.
details for larger images
- GALLERIE STEPHANIE, Chicago IL. 1990
- FIBER AS ART, Hunterdon Art Center, Clinton, NJ 1990
- NEEDLE EXPRESSIONS, Council of American Embroiderers, Opening Portland, OR, 1990, and traveling through November, 1991
- FANTASTIC FIBERS, Yeiser Art Center, Paducah, KY 1992
- NATIONAL QUILTING ASSOC. SHOW, Bowling Green, OH, 1992 (FIRST PLACE)
- POLYCHROME - Fiber Fifteen Group Show, 1992, David Adler Cultural Center, Libertyville, IL
- CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN QUILTS, 1993-94, (invitational, juried exhibition) traveling in UK and Ireland,The Crafts Council, London, England
- SINISSIPPI QUILTERS SHOW, 1995 (invitational) Rockford, IL
- PHEASANT RUN QUILT EXHIBITION, 1995, (juried) Pheasant Run Expo. Center, St.Charles, IL
- STUDIO ART QUILT EXHIBIT, American Quilt Showcase, (invitational) 1995, Dollywood, Pigeon Forge, TN
- SPECTRUM: THE TEXTILE ART OF CARYL BRYER FALLERT, Traveling Solo Exhibition, 1996-1998 Museum of the American Quilters Society, Paducah, KY, Illinois Art Gallery, Chicago, IL, Illinois State Museum, Springfield, IL, American Museum of Quilts and Textiles, San Jose, CA, Dunedin Fine Art Center, Dunedin FL, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA
- NEEDLE EXPRESSIONS, Show Catalog, 1990, p.1
- QUILTING INTERNATIONAL, Nov. 1990, pp. 46-47
- THE FLYING NEEDLE, Feb., 1991, p. 12 (back of quilt)
- CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN QUILTS, Crafts Council (London), 1993 p. 24-25, 51
- CARYL BRYER FALLERT: A SPECTRUM OF QUILTS, 1983-1995, 1996, AQS Books, pp. 60-61
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2022
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com