See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2018 Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry
- Size: 30" x 30"
- Techniques: Original photography, digitally painted, machine appliqued, and
- Fabric: 100% cotton / Batting: 50% cotton / 50% bamboo
- Price: $3600.00
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
Divergence was made in response to an art challenge. A black and white photo by German photographer Stefan Beutler, to be used for inspiration, was sent to a group of twenty artists in various media. The photo, which is full of Jungian architypes, is of a young woman standing in the middle of a dirt road in an apparently rural area, wearing only a long skirt. To me, the image suggests vulnerability, loneliness, and indecision, feelings I experienced as a mature woman several years after my first husband died. My quilt is a collage of photos taken in the front yard of my home in the forest on the Olympic Peninsula. The images were combined to suggest a fork in the road, the need to make a decision, and an invitation from my wonderful (current) husband, Ron Gentry, to join him on his fork of the road, a difficult decision, since I was rooted in the community where I lived and did not expect to remarry. The female figure, a blend of digital painting and three different photos of me taken by my husband, is not a slender young waif, but an older woman with graying hair, still facing a new chapter in life.
The digitally manipulated photos were printed on cotton fabric by Spoonflower. The shapes were cut out and stitched together to form the final composition, then heavily quilted in many different colors of acrylic thread.
- "All For One & One For All",
- Depot Arts Center, Anacortes, WA, December 7-8, 2018
- Normandy Park City Hall, Normandy Park, WA, Feb 1st - April 30, 2019
Found Again, The Ohio Craft Museum, 1665 West 5th Avenue, Columbus, OH, February 9 - April 5, 2020 (canceled due to pandemic)
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition) Lattimer Center for Quilts and Textiles, Tillamook, OR, May 3-June 27, 2021
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition), McLean Textile Gallery, McLean, VA, April 1-May 2, 2022
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition), Quilt Show Reno, Reno-Sparks Convention Center, Reno NV, June 9-11, 2022
- Reflections of Light: Recent Works by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry, New England Quilt Museum, Lowell, MA, July 13 to October 30, 2022
- Photos, Pixels, & Pizzazz: Digital Quilts by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry, Special exhibition, Road to California Quilters Conference, Ontario, CA, January 17-21, 2023
- Art Quilting Studio, Winter, 2021 (feature) pp. 46-47
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2022
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • email@example.com