See details & more information below
- Copyright © 2019 Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry & Ron Gentry
- Size: 53" x 68"
- Techniques: Original photography, digitally edited, digital design, printed, machine quilted
- Fabric: 100% cotton / Batting: 50% cotton / 50% bamboo
- Price: $6400.00
you would like to purchase or exhibit this quilt, please contact Caryl privately.
Email Phone: 360-385-2568 Snail Mail: Bryerpatch Studio 10 Baycliff Place. Port Townsend, WA 98368
In 2019 we visited Acapulco and saw the famous cliff divers. The finale of the show was the final diver, who leapt from 135 feet, summersaulted, and entered the water headfirst. My husband, Ron balanced his camera on a railing and shot the dive at 4 frames per second. When we got home, he combined the twelve shots of the three-second dive into one composite. Both the water and the diver were in motion, but the rocks were still. To create the time-lapse effect, he chose one frame from the middle of the dive, clipped the divers and shadows from the other frames, and lined them up at pixel level with the rocks. Using Corel Draw, my digital drawing program, I added traditional “Storm at Sea” blocks to the corners of the picture and designed borders that extend the colors and patterns of the photo then fade to black. The traditional blocks include plaids, hand dyed fabric scans, and patterns borrowed from the rocks and the sea. The center panel, borders, and binding fabric were digitally printed and pieced together. I quilted the center very heavily with matching threads and used contrasting threads in the borders to further extend the lines of the center out to the edges. A plaid binding, matching the traditional blocks, completes the quilt.
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Hampton Roads Convention Center, 1610 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, VA 23666, Hampton, VA, February 26 – March 1, 2020 (Second Place)
- Photos Pixels & Pizzazz, (solo exhibition) Lattimer Center for Quilts and Textiles, Tillamook, OR, May 3-June 27, 2021
- Hands All Around, International Quilt Festival, Houston, TX, October 28 thru 31, 2021
- Road to California, Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, CA, January 18-22, 2022
- AQS Quilt Week Branson, Branson Convention Center, Branson, MO, March 23–26, 2022
- The Artist as Quiltmaker, Firelands Association for the Visual Arts (FAVA), New Union Center for the Arts, 39 South Main Street, Oberlin, Ohio, May– July 2022 (cancelled due to pandemic) Rescheduled: April 2 – July 3, 2022
- Reflections of Light: Recent Works by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry, July 13-October 30, 2022
- Photos, Pixels, & Pizzazz: Digital Quilts by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry, Special exhibition, Road to California Quilters Conference, Ontario, CA, January 17-21, 2023
- Art Quilt Quarterly, SAQA, 2022, Issue #26, p. 13
Web Site Design by Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry © 1997-2022
All Rights Reserved
Bryerpatch Studio • 10 Baycliff Place • Port Townsend, WA • 98368 • USA
360-385-2568 • firstname.lastname@example.org